Pages

Friday 21 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week one day 6



Activity 3: Weird and Wonderful [10 points]

New Zealand is just one of many countries that has amazing plants and trees. In fact, the African desert
is home to some pretty incredible plants, like the cactus. Some cacti are able to survive on as little as 3
milliliters (ml) of water a day. Wow!

Let’s imagine that you are given a cactus for your birthday. To keep it alive, you must give it 3 ml of water
every day.

Over one full year, how much water will you need to give your cactus plant?

On your blog, tell us how to solve this math problem. You can write your answer in words, use a
Sketchpad image, or post a video explaining how you would figure it out. Be sure to give us your final
answer in milliliters (ml).


How I would figure out what the answer is I have to figure what king of strategery I am going to use.
Multiplying and addition I would go 365 x 3 becuase 365 days in a year 3 liters of water is what you
have to do to keep Charles alive.


(I named my cactus Charles) I would go 3 x 3 = 9 so 3 x 300 = 900  because the 9 is in the hundreds
lane then I would go 3 x 6 = 18 then the next thing I did was just slapped a 0 right next to that
18 witches made 180 because it is in the 10’s lane


If you can see the writing below I am writing the answer so I won't forget the answers. Then I would go
3 x 5 because 5 is the last number to multiply and add I just went 3 x 5 = 15 easy now that and is in
the
one’s collum      


I added it all up
3 x 3 = 9=3 x 300 = 900
3 x 6 = 18 = 3 x 600 =180
3 x 5 = 15


The answer was
900+ 180 + 15=
1095!

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Diego, it's Billy here from the Summer Learning Journey. I wonder if you might remember me from last summer? I have since moved to London, England. I am going to be commenting on your activities from the other side of the world! It is currently 11 o'clock in the morning here so you'll have to forgive me if I don't always reply quickly.

    Thanks for completing this activity and clearly outlining your thinking. I love maths and am so impressed with your straight forward partitioning strategy you have used to solve this equation. Your place value knowledge has enabled you to break the number apart and multiply one 'lane' at a time, ensuring you don't forget the right amount of zeros too.

    I also liked that you named the Cactus Charles! Hilarious.

    I wonder if you can use the same strategy to work out how much water Charles would need over a decade?

    Good luck,
    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diego...great to see you blogging on the SLJ. There's still some time to complete the activities before school begins - how many more can you get done? Keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete